The three Angels (Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu) are back. The super detectives still work for Charlie (voice of John Forsythe), though there’s a new Bosley (Bernie Mac, replacing Bill Murray). They’ve been hired by the U.S. government to retrieve two high-tech rings, that when combined, reveal the names of people under the Federal Witness Protection Program. Unscrupulous people have gotten their hands on it, because people in the program are turning up dead.
The plot of Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle is ridiculous, but I think we can agree that Full Throttle doesn’t exist for much other reason than to show of its stars bodies and put them in ridiculous situations for a few giggles. Given his roots in the music industry, it’s no surprise that director Joseph McGinty Nichol, or “McG” fills this with more stunts and shoots it as though it were several music video vignettes. The best part of this fluff is probably the supporting cast and cameos: Robert Patrick, Demi Moore (as a former Angel, Madison Lee), Justin Theroux, Shia LaBeouf, Luke Wilson, Matt LeBlanc, John Cleese (as Lucy Liu’s dad?), Crispin Glover, Carrie Fisher and even Bruce Willis.
Sony has included both the theatrical and unrated cuts of the film on this release.
Presented in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio, this 1080p transfer is solid. Detail are strong throughout and the print doesn’t have any notable flaws. Colors are well rendered; the bright background doesn’t reveal any apparent softness or blemishes. Facial details are well revealed.
As you might expect, the DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack is loud and active. Music is well spread across all channels, receiving a nice low-end boost from the LFE channel. Surrounds are active and given and given a nice low-end boost. Dialogue is clean, clear and concise throughout. There’s nothing to complain about here.
English SDH, Spanish and French subtitles are included.
The following extras are available:
- Check Out the New “Charlie’s Angels!” (HD, 2:16) Director Elizabeth Banks introduces a “sneak peek” at the new Charlie’s Angels reboot hitting theaters soon.
- Audio Commentary with Director McG: McG discusses various technical aspects of the filming process. Available with or without “Telestrator” options, available only on the Theatrical Cut.
- Writers’ Commentary: John August and Cormac Wibberley and Marianne Wibberley discuss various revisions the script went through during production. Only available on the Theatrical Cut.
- Angel-Vision Trivia: Subtitle trivia track.
- The Pussycat Dolls (HD, 4:55) A look at the dance sequence performed by the Los Angeles dance troupe.
- Rolling with the Punches (HD, 6:07) A look at the stunts in the film.
- XXX-treme Angels (HD, 9:05) A breakdown of the motocross sequence.
- Full Throttle: The Cars (HD, 17:51) A look at the vehicles in the film.
- Designing Angels: The Look (HD, 7:26) The film’s production design.
- There’s No Such Thing As A Short Shot, Just An Overworked Producer (HD, 8:51) Executive producer Patrick Crowley discusses his involvement in the project and the difficulties keeping it on time and on budget.
- Angels Makeover: Hansen Dam (HD, 4:06) A look at the opening escape scene.
- Angel Scouts (HD, 6:49) A look at some of the locations used in the film.
- Dream Duds (HD, 4;11) A look at the costumes in the film.
- Cameo-Graphy (HD, 3:37) Brief clips of the various cameos in the film.
- Full Throttle Jukebox (HD, 33:54) Director McG and Music Supervisor John Houlihan introduce clips of many musical moments from the film.
- Angels Film School (HD, 11:47) A brief look at various jobs on a film set including First Assistant Director, Script Supervisor, Storyboard Artist, Creative Advertising, Special Effects Supervisor, Visual Effects Supervisor, Driver and Stunts.
- Music Video (HD, 4:17) “Feel Good Time” Performed by Pink, featuring William Orbit.
- Teaser Trailer (HD, 2:00)
- Theatrical Trailer (HD, 2:26)
- Digital Copy
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003)
Movie title: Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle
Actor(s): Drew Barrymore, Lucy Liu , Cameron Diaz , Bernie Mac, Demi Moore, Shia LaBeouf
Genre: Comedy, Crime, Adventure, Action